Tuesday 4 December 2012

Christmas Poker

gift bag for a poker lover (only Santa and I know what is going in here)

going for a co-ordinated look




Update: My chesty cough is back with a vengeance, but there was a Victorian Christmas Fayre on locally tonight so I wrapped up warm and went with Mr FantabulousMayhem and his Mum.  No Christmas tree up for me yet, I like to leave it to nearer the main event.  It’s not a card but I will be posting this project as my contribution to a Card a Day Blogging, it does include a gift card and tag though.
Inspiration: Pushing on with some practical Christmas makes for family.  Number one son plays poker (and he was in Las Vegas in the summer for a friend’s wedding, lucky him!), so that’s the theme for these gift bags.  I saw the topper sheet at a craft stall while in Whitby and the foiling really caught my eye.  I will never forget the year when number one son came home from university at Christmas, took one look at the Christmas decorations I had put up and said ‘haven’t you heard less is more mum?’  This sums him up, but I do still love him and my decorations.  He doesn’t like a lot of frills but he does seem to appreciate some of the hand crafted cards I have made for him (just not the house lit up like Las Vegas!!).  I am trying to stick with a theme so the gifts look co-ordinated (I have some plain red and kraft wrapping paper with stars that will go well too).
  • Products: Kanban topper ‘Large Playing Cards’ PCT9806; Kanban Christmas backing card 900373, 900488, 900492, 900516; plain black card and mirri card from stash; do-crafts kraftstax; do-crafts back to basics gift bags; 3 for a £1 bottle bag; Anita’s Christmas ribbon (red), Dovecraft creative ribbon (green), Raffia from stash; gold fishnet ribbon from stash (bought in a bargain shop); letter tiles from WH Smith (didn’t keep the label so I’m not sure of the brand); cosmic shimmer coloured pearlescent glue; Hunkdory bling; black and white buttons from stash (papermania a few years ago); small heart punch; white peel-offs; white sakura gel pen; rusty hinge and barn door distress ink to ink edges.
  • Techniques: Just a decoration job really, but lots of fun in laying things out and deciding what would go where.  I was aiming at a layered, not too busy, random collage look.  I love the quality of the Kanban card and the foiling but I still like to ink the edges, as the card is matt it takes a touch of ink very well.
  • Favourites: Kraft card; layers; inked edges; dots and dashes; bit of personalisation.
  • Extra bits (just because): tried to keep to a minimum but I do think the cosmic shimmer glue blobs make a nice effect, I do need to practice though as they are not totally regular (and with no ‘e’ in David I could use some of my remaining letter tiles!).  I've used the cosmic shimmer glue to stick on the buttons and to make a faux thread.
Watch this space: itching to do some colouring in, if I can stop coughing long enough but I’ve got a new Funky Hand cd to play with too so I’ve got a real dilemma on my hands.

If you like these decorated bags, you might like this project:

Quirky Monochrome

1 comment: