Wednesday 21 November 2012

Rose Red

going for a vintage story book feel (I've tried to capture the highlights in this photo)


can't help but love those big eyes

I love this sentiment too
there's a bit less glare on this photo
 
 

Update: Here it is.  My very first Saturated Canary creation.  This will be my contribution to A Card a Day Blogging.

I am also going to enter the Saturated Canary Challenge Fairytales.
Inspiration: I’ve been admiring other people’s Saturated Canary creations for months now, but while my printer was out of order it was just too awkward.  It’s almost too difficult to choose an image to start with as they are all gorgeous.  I had already downloaded Rose Red and I knew I had red bits and bobs in my stash so I jumped in and started to play.  I had read the fairy tale as a child in a ladybird book (is that just a UK thing?) but I couldn’t remember the story so I checked it out on-line.  Rose Red and her sister Snow White (no not that one) live in a cabin in the woods.  They are kind to a big old bear in the winter.  Later when an evil dwarf threatens to kill them the bear comes to their defence.  On the demise of the dwarf the bear turns into a Prince (it was all just an evil spell you see).  Any who, that made me think the perfect sentiment would be ‘Everyday holds the possibility of a miracle’.  

  • Products: Saturated Canary ‘Rose Red’ digital image; Keepsake ‘Once Upon a Time’ embossing board (it had to be for a fairy tale) and stand template (Glitter Girls); Neenah card (Crafter’s Companion); Tim Holtz core’dinations Traditional Christmas card; Papermania Portobello Road collection (for the gingham paper); IndigoBlu sentiment stamp; Rich Cocoa Memento ink; Copic pens; sakura pens; papermania permanent pens; green floral trim from stash (papermania a few years ago); Tim Holz metal pin; butchers twine; fabric roses and bows from stash (create and craft years ago); white fine line peel offs; glossy accents; stickles and Anita’s tiny gems (added to corner of sentiments).
  • Colouring: Image printed on Neenah card and coloured with copic pens.  This was the first time I have printed on card (my new printer loads from top) and I was chuffed to bits with how well it worked.  The image was a real pleasure to colour.  I hope I’ve done the hair justice as the hair is just amazing on Krista’s images.  I’ve used copic colours C1, C3, C5, C7 and touch 100 and I’ve added some extra highlights in black, white and silver with sakura (for white) and other fine-liner pens.  For the lips I’ve added a touch of a gelly roll pen (I don’t imagine they had lip gloss in the cabin in the woods but I just couldn’t resist!).  The final touch was adding glossy accents to eyes.  The sentiment is hand stamped with memento ink.  Background coloured with B000 and little dots and blended with blender pen.  I have also used my Tim Holtz gadget to give some torn edges to these images before I attached to the book. I was thinking an old torn story book that comes to life and flowers start to grow from the pages...a miracle.
  • Book:  The ‘pages’ of the book were embossed on the board then sanded to bring out the inner colour.  The spine is stuck with extra sticky tape, with 3D tape between pages to build up dimension.  A few peel-offs and dots and dashes added to edges of pages for extra effect.  I was thinking of traditional European costumes with lace and gingham when working on this.
  • Favourites: Faux stitching; lots of layers; paper flowers.
  • Extra bits (I do just love my extra bits): The red roses had to be the main player but I thought I needed a little green to break up all the red and white, so I added the green trim and green leaves which tie in with the green leaves in the main image.  The paper roses and leaves are made from torn core’dinations card (oh the fun I had) with a little stickles for frosty dew.  They looked a little stark so I added the material flowers (from one of my magic stash boxes) which I love because they are a lovely rich red like the dress (copic colours R24; R27; R29 & touch R59 by the way).  Oh, and the Tim Holtz pins says ‘secrets’, well the bear did have a big secret didn’t he?
Hope you like, back again soon xx

14 comments:

  1. Eleanor this just the most delightful card. Your colouring is beautiful and I love how you explain all about your cards. It's wonderful to see your cards and read your blog.
    Anice xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful colouring with your Copic pens and why not have a little lip gloss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card, thanks so much for joining us at Saturated Canary this week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a joy to work with a Saturated Canary image. I'll definitely be doing more xx

      Delete
  4. Ooooooo this is lovely! Beautiful colouring! Thanks for joining us at SC Challenges xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiyah eleanor! only me! bit late popping in today!! oh hun this is just gorgeous, I love that book shape too!!
    huge hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. doh, forgot to say thank you so much for playing along with us over on the saturated canary challenge blog too!
    huge hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be joining in more often as I am in love with the images xx

      Delete
  7. sooo pretty..love all your little details thanks for sharing with us at SCC hugs Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eleanor, this is just beautiful. Agree with you about the large eyes.. I think that's what gets me with these images too.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, Eleanor, and such a great quote

    ReplyDelete