Wednesday 31 October 2012

Seven Birthday Wood Nymphs

Happy Birthday to Crafter's Companion


A card that can be transformed into bunting

A close up of the Toread called Flora

Happy Halloween every-one!  Busy, busy…hubby is actually hanging up skeletons around me as I type and we don’t even have little ones in the house!

I tried to come up with something different with this project.  I fancied entering the Crafter’s Companion 7th Birthday Competition (with a bit of luck I may even be considered for a guest design team spot).  I thought it would be good to do something with a bit of a wow factor.  I was also looking for an excuse to play with the Toreads (wood nymphs) stamps because of their cute and cheeky little faces and to practice my colouring in.
I had a ball with the colouring in, doing some natural colours and some more unusual.  I will definitely be creating other projects with these stamps as they could be used in many different ways.  I stamped with rich cocoa memento ink on Neenah card and used copic pens to colour in.  I added some highlights with my trusty sakura white gel pen (I would be lost without it) and a Kuretake very fine brown pen.  I added freckles just because I felt like it, not sure if wood nymphs should have freckles but why not!

I mounted the wood nymphs on some die cut shapes (spellbinders & x-cut), cut from core’dinations ‘Core Couture’ card (I used Collal 3D glue gel to give a bit of dimension).  I was drawn to slightly Halloween colours, greens, purples and oranges but that wasn’t even planned it just happened. 
Then came the dilemma of what to do with my wood nymphs!  I thought about bunting or a wishing tree table decoration that could be used for a birthday celebration but then I noticed that the competition called for a card.  So thinking cap on, I hope you like what I came up with.  It’s a bit of a mega birthday card.  It’s made from A3 centura pearl card and re-enforced with an old box because of the size.  As there was a lot of effort in the colouring in (as well as the fun) I wanted something that would have a longer life, so my tags are attached with just a little bit of foam tape so that they can be recycled back in to birthday decorations for future birthdays.  This made me think that it might be a sweet idea to make a new tag for a child every birthday so that they could have an every growing string of bunting and you could write a little message or memory on the back (as number one son will be thirty on his next birthday I think I may have had this bright idea a little late!).

Extras used: Hunkydory/Crafter’s Companion foiled acetate with leaves (part of Toread range); papermania brads and glitter strips; purple, orange and green matt card from stash; sticky letters from stash (TPC Studio); paper shapers flower punch; fuzzy wool and little pegs from stash (from bargain shop).


 

15 comments:

  1. Wow now this is one BIG card. What a fantastic creation, must have taken you a huge amount of time. Bet you enjoyed every min though.
    Anice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anice, I did enjoy the colouring but definitely going for a few smaller projects next.

      Delete
  2. Cute images and some lovely colouring. A great project, good luck for the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! Rather you than me with all that colouring - not something I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! what a wonderful project! Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I thought they were die-cuts! Your colouring is gorgeous, love the wacky shades you've used, and yes they should have freckles.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this is absolutely gorgeous. Wishing you luck in the crafters companion competition although im sure you wont need much of it as this project definitely has the WOW factor. I've just becomea follower and am already looking forward to seeing more of your pieces darl xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwwwwww Eleanor!! this is just completely adorable!it must of taken you ages with all those lovely layers! too cute!
    huge hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete